Current Affair of 04 May 2018. Read Important Current Affairs for UPSC/SSC/Bank and other state exam
‘Go to Village’ mission launched in Manipur
Manipur chief minister N. Biren Singh launched the “Go to Village” mission at Konuma ground, Laphupat Tera, Komlakhong gram panchayat in Imphal West district.
Under the new mission, the government would identify eligible and deserving beneficiaries and would deliver government services at their doorstep. A review meeting would be held next week with all the officials to assess the requirements and data collected from the camps, the chief minister said.
The mission is aimed at identifying the eligible and deserving beneficiaries in every corner of the state and delivering government services at their doorstep.
Govt. doubles PMVVY pension investment limit to ₹ 15 lakh; extends scheme by two years
The PMVVY is being implemented through Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) to provide social security and protect the elderly
Cabinet has approved increasing the investment limit from ₹ 7.5 lakh to ₹ 15 lakh as well as the extension of subscription period for Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandan Yojana (PMVVY) as part of the government’s commitment to financial inclusion and social security.
The Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandan Yojana (PMVVY) is for citizens aged 60 years and above. It was opened for subscription from May 4, 2017 to May 3, 2018. It has now been extended to March 31, 2020.
The scheme provides an assured pension based on a guaranteed rate of return of 8 per cent per annum for ten years, with an option to opt for pension on a monthly, quarterly, half yearly or annual basis.
Cabinet approves rejig of programme for minorities
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved a proposal for the renaming and restructuring of the Multi-Sectoral Development Programme of the Ministry of Minority Affairs as “Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram”.
The CCEA also approved its continuation for the remaining period of the 14th Finance Commission – until March 31, 2020.
The restructured programme would provide better socio-economic infrastructure facilities to the minorities, particularly in the fields of education, health and skill development.
Krishonnati Yojana to be continued
The government approved the continuation of the agriculture sector umbrella programme, ‘Green Revolution —Krishonnati Yojana’, with a central outlay of Rs 33,269.97 crore till March 2020.
The programme, comprises of 11 schemes to develop the agriculture and allied sector in a holistic and scientific manner to increase the income of farmers by enhancing production, productivity and better returns on produce.
The schemes focus on creating and strengthening of infrastructure of production, reducing production cost and marketing of agriculture and allied produce. These schemes have been under implementation for varying duration during past few years.
Vibrant Northeast 2018 in Guwahati from May 3
The ‘Vibrant North East 2018’, an event in which people would be made aware of central government’s schemes and programmes, will be held in Guwahati.
The main purpose of the event is to disseminate information about the schemes, grants and projects of the Central government to ensure that they are implemented as envisaged officially.
World Press Freedom Day: 3rd May
- World Press Freedom Day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in December 1993.
- Since then, 3 May, the anniversary of the ‘Declaration of Windhoek’ is celebrated worldwide as World Press Freedom Day.
- It is an opportunity to celebrate the fundamental principles of press freedom.
- The theme for 2018 is “Keeping Power in Check: Media, Justice and The Rule of Law”.
Cambridge Analytica Shuts Down All Its Operations
Cambridge Analytica (and its British parent SCL Elections Ltd) is finally shutting operations. The UK-based data analytics company was in the eye of the storm for illegally harvesting personal data of 87 million Facebook users.
Cambridge Analytica was created around 2013 initially with a focus on U.S. elections, with $15 million in backing from billionaire Republican donor Robert Mercer and a name chosen by future Trump White House adviser Steve Bannon
India, US discuss maritime security
India and the US discussed maritime security in the Indo-Pacific region during the third round of the India-US Maritime Security Dialogu
India, China militaries to set up hotline
During the Dialogue, the two sides discussed developments in the maritime domain in the Indo-Pacific Region and exchanged views on ways to further strengthen bilateral maritime security cooperation.
The meeting assumes significance as both India and the US are part of the recently revived quad, that also includes Japan and Australia, that seeks to work for the peace and prosperity of the Indo-Pacific region
Two Malaysian badminton players handed career-ending bans
Two Malaysian badminton players have been handed career-ending bans.
Badminton World Federation (BWF) said in a statement today that former world junior champion Zulfadli Zulkiffli, aged 25, was banned for 20 years and fined 25,000 Dollars.
The panel found both players engaged in corruption offences over a significant period and a significant number of tournaments dating back to 2013.
Jagdish Mukhi sworn-in as acting Manipur governer
Jagdish Mukhi sworn in as the acting governor of Manipur by the Acting Chief Justice of Manipur High Court, Justice N Kotiswar Singh.
Mukhi, who is the governor of Assam and Meghalaya, will hold office in the absence of Governor Najma Heptullah, a release of the Manipur government said.
Green Revolution — Krishonnati Yojana
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has given its approval for the Umbrella Scheme, “Green Revolution – Krishonnati Yojana” in agriculture sector beyond 12th Five Year Plan.
- The Umbrella scheme comprises of 11 Schemes/Missions
- Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture aims to promote holistic growth of horticulture sector.
- National Food Security Mission (NFSM), including National Mission on Oil Seeds and Oil Palm (NMOOP), aims to increase production of rice, wheat, pulses, coarse cereals and commercial crops, through area expansion and productivity enhancement.
- National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA) aims at promoting sustainable agriculture practices best suitable to the specific agro-ecology.
- Submission on Agriculture Extension (SMAE) aims to strengthen the ongoing extension mechanism of State Governments, local bodies etc., achieving food and nutritional security.
- Sub-Mission on Seeds and Planting Material (SMSP) aims to increase production of certified / quality seed, to increase SRR, to upgrade the quality of farm saved seeds.
- Sub-Mission on Agricultural Mechanization (SMAM) aims to increase the reach of farm mechanization to small and marginal farmers and to the regions where availability of farm power is low.
- Sub Mission on Plant Protection and Plan Quarantine (SMPPQ) aims to minimize loss to quality and yield of agricultural crops from the ravages of insect pests, diseases, weeds, nematodes, rodents, etc.
- Integrated Scheme on Agriculture Census, Economics and Statistics (ISACES) aims to undertake the agriculture census, study of the cost of cultivation of principal crops etc.
- Integrated Scheme on Agricultural Cooperation (ISAC) aims to provide financial assistance for improving the economic conditions of cooperatives, remove regional imbalances.