Current Affair of 25 May 2018. Read Important Current Affairs for UPSC/SSC/Bank and other state exam
Finance Ministry Ties Up With 40 Companies Under Mudra Scheme
The finance ministry has tied up with 40 entities including Flipkart, Swiggy, Patanjali and Amul, which are big job creators, for extending loans to small entrepreneurs under the Mudra scheme.
In order to identify people who can be given funds under the Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana (PMMY), the ministry will on May 23 organise an event in Mumbai to extend loan under the scheme.
Last fiscal the government has extended Rs 2.53 lakh crore credit under the Mudra Yojana, while Rs 5.73 lakh crore has been extended in last 3 years.
PMMY was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on April 8, 2015, for providing loans of up to Rs 10 lakh to the non-corporate, non-farm small/micro enterprises.
Rajasthan launches ‘Nidaan’ software for disease monitoring
A new software, ‘Nidaan’, has been launched in Rajasthan for presumptive diagnosis and monitoring of seasonal and non-communicable diseases as well as the trends of ailments found in specific areas. It is expected to help in formulation of specific action plans for control of diseases.
“Nidaan” will facilitate online entries of as many as 46 diseases and healthcare services available for their treatment in different institutions. Ms. Gupta said a simultaneous monitoring of the programmes run under the National Health Mission would help in an effective policy formulation in the health sector.
HD Kumaraswamy Took Oath as New Karnataka CM
The JD(S)-Congress coalition government head HD Kumaraswamy was sworn-in as the New Chief Minister of Karnataka. Governor Vajubhai Vala administered the oath of office and secrecy to Kumaraswamy.
Congress Leader G. Parameshwara was sworn in as Deputy Chief Minister. There are 221 elected members in the Legislative Assembly, and the coalition partners have 117 members.
Paytm’s initiative to educate women
- Paytm has announced a programme called Paytm AshaKiran, which aims at educating rural women about financial services.
- It will help in creating new job opportunities in small towns & cities of India.
- In the first phase, the bank has partnered with United Nations Development Program under its Disha project to mobilize self-help groups and organize workshops.
Sushant Singh Rajput to Promote 2 Major Initiatives of NITI Aayog
NITI Aayog and Sushant Singh Rajput have decided to collaborate towards promoting two major initiatives of NITI Aayog, promotion of BHIM and the Women Entrepreneurship Platform.
Mr Rajput had entered into an agreement with NITI Aayog. The agreement would be signed by Shri Rajput with Ms Anna Roy, Adviser, NITI Aayog in the presence of Shri Amitabh Kant, CEO, NITI Aayog.
India-Nepal Joint Military Exercise SURYA KIRAN To Be Held In Uttarakhand
Joint Military Exercise SURYA KIRAN-XIII between India and Nepal will be conducted at Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand.
Exercise SURYA KIRAN is a biannual event which is conducted alternatively in Nepal and India. The aim of this exercise is to conduct battalion level joint training with emphasis on counter-terrorism operations in mountainous terrain.
World’s Largest Bird Sculpture ‘Jatayu’
- Kerala tourism will soon inaugurate the world’s largest bird sculpture, Jatayu Earth’s Centre, in Thiruvananthapuram.
- The replica of bird ‘Jatayu’, a character in the Ramayana is 65 feet tall & is positioned right at the top of a rock situated 1,000 feet above sea level.
- The rock, ‘Jatayupara’, where the structure is based, is the place where Jatayu fell after its wings were slain by Ravana.
India ranked 145th in healthcare access
- India has been ranked 145th amongst 195 nations in terms of accessibility and quality of healthcare.
- As per the Lancet study, India is behind its neighbouring nations, Sri Lanka, China, Bangladesh and Bhutan.
- However, since 1990 lot of improvements have been seen in India. Countries with low scores were Afghanistan, Central African Republic, Chad, Somalia and Guinea Bissau.
MobiKwik Launches UPI On Platform, Offers Own VPA Handle
Leading digital financial services platform, MobiKwik, announced the launch of Unified Payments Interface (UPI) on its platform via its own Virtual payment address (VPA) handle @ikwik.
MobiKwik is the first in the industry to offer UPI access to a huge base of three million merchants on its app.
De Villiers retires from international cricket
- Former South Africa Test captain AB de Villiers has announced his retirement from international cricket.
- De Villiers made his international debut in Test series against England in 2004.
- He scored 8,765 Test runs and has a batting average of over 50 in both Test & ODI cricket.
- AB de Villiers holds the records for scoring the fastest fifty, hundred and 150 in ODIs.
- This is because people simply trying to meet the target, as gauged by a certain measure, may fail to focus on the underlying basis of the target.
- For instance, a government that is solely focussed on boosting gross domestic product may decide to engage in wasteful spending just to boost GDP even though such spending does not improve the living standards of citizens.
- It is named after British economist Charles Goodhart who proposed it while serving as the chief economic adviser to the Bank of England.