Current Affair of 11 April 2018, Exam View.
PM Modi Launches India’s 1st All-Electric High-Speed Train
Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveils India’s first 12,000 horsepower electric locomotive from Bihar’s Madhepura locomotive factory on Tuesday.
The theme of the centenary celebrations of the Champaran Satyagraha is “Satyagraha se Swachhagrah”. Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, Union minister Radha Mohan Singh and other dignitaries received PM Modi.
- The train is first Make-in-India project completed by Alstom at Madhepura’s Electric Locomotive Factory
- Each double section locomotive will have a capacity of 6,000 tonnes
- Due to its high speed of 120 km/hr, the locos are expected to decongest the saturated freight corridors.
- The heavy haulage locomotives will help in transporting coal and iron ore
- The new locomotive will bring down the operating costs for the Railways as it is 100% electrified. It will also cut down greenhouse gas emissions
- The Madhepura facility will manufacture about 35 locos in 2019-20 and 60 in 2020-21. Another 100 locos will be produced the following year.
Vice President inaugurates “Scientific Convention on World Homoeopathy Day”
The Vice President of India Shri. M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the two-day “Scientific Convention on World Homeopathy Day” organized by the Ministry of AYUSH here today(10th April 2018). Minister of State (Independent Charge) for AYUSH Shri Shripad Yesso Naik presided over the inaugural function. Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha Dr. Manoj Rajoria and Secretary, Ministry of AYUSH Shri Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha were the Guests of Honour. The convention was attended by more than 1500 delegates, which included homoeopathic researchers, scientists from allied sciences, practitioners, students, industrialists as well as representatives of various homoeopathic associations.
The Vice President also conferred the awards bestowed by CCRH to incentivize the contributors in the field of Homoeopathy research. The Lifetime Achievement award was conferred to Prof. Jayesh R. Bellare, Institute Chair Professor at IIT Bombay who has done pathbreaking research on the action of homeopathic remedies in the realm of Nanotechnology.
Tripura CM Launches State Component of PMKVY
Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb launched the state component of Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) in Agartala on April 07.
Target to train more than 1,16,000 youths by 2020 will be achieved. “The problem of unemployment prevailing in the state will thus be solved”
Kerala issues protocol to confirm brain death cases
The Kerala government on Saturday issued a set of guidelines to confirm brain death cases, thereby becoming perhaps the first state in India to put in place a standard operating procedure (SOP) in this regard.
hospitals in the state.
The guidelines have been issued in the backdrop of prevailing concerns among the public about brain death and organ donation. “A patient will be declared brain-dead only if there is no chance for him/her coming back to life. A series of scientific procedures will help us confirm brain death”
The guidelines also distinguish between brain death and state of coma. “Coma is a state of unconsciousness caused by damage to particular nerves of brain. Brain death is a state of permanent destruction of brain cells caused by excessive bleeding in brain”
Odisha Public e-library opens in Berhampur
Odisha Public e-library set up by Berhampur Municipal Corporation (BeMC) and Odisha Society of America (OSA) has started functioning from the Town Hall here.
The e-library will give a boost to the library movement of the state and help computer literate students.
The BeMC would be connected with the National Informatics Center (NIC) so that its e-Granthalaya could be accessed as well.
World’s first microfactory to help tackle e-waste hazard
An Indian-origin scientist in Australia has launched the world’s first microfactory that can transform the components from electronic waste items such as smartphones and laptops into valuable materials for re-use.
The e-waste microfactory has the potential to reduce the rapidly growing problem of vast amounts of electronic waste causing environmental harm and going into landfill. It can also turn many types of consumer waste such as glass, plastic and timber into commercial materials and products
For instance, from e-waste, computer circuit boards can be transformed into valuable metal alloys such as copper and tin while glass and plastic from e-devices can be converted into micromaterials used in industrial grade ceramics and plastic filaments for 3D printing.
Using our green manufacturing technologies, these microfactories can transform waste where it is stockpiled and created, enabling local businesses and communities to not only tackle local waste problems but to develop a commercial opportunity from the valuable materials that are created.
The modular microfactories can operate on a site as small as 50 square metres and can be located wherever waste may be stockpiled.
Bharatpur Bird sanctuary
- The Keoladeo National Park or Keoladeo Ghana National Park formerly known as the Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary is in Bharathpur District of Rajasthan.
- It is a famous avifauna sanctuary that sees thousands of rare and highly endangered birds such as the Siberian Crane come to the sanctuary during the winter season.
- It is an important wintering ground for migratory waterfowl from Eurasia, North Africa and Arabian Peninsula, as well as for resident birds.
- It is named after a Keoladeo (Shiva) temple within its boundaries.
- The park is in danger as a dam has been built on the upstream of the Gambhir River, considered lifeline of the sanctuary.
- The river now feeds the wetlands only when the dam reservoir is full and its sluice gates are opened.
- The park is recognized as a Ramsar Wetland Site as well as UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Dadasaheb Phalke Excellence Award
Bollywood’s powerhouse actor Ranveer Singh has been finalised for the Dadasaheb Phalke Excellence Award as Best Actor this year for his movie ‘Padmaavat’.
He has not only received incredible acclaim for his portrayal of the merciless Alauddin Khilji but he has also delivered outstanding box office collections as he recorded his first ever 300 crore blockbuster.
Apart from Ranveer, Anushka Sharma will also be awarded by the same for her genre-defining successful movies as path breaking producer.